|<<Back to the This Date in Sports History page|
- St. Louis Cardinals' infielder Frankie Frisch is named NL MVP. He hit .313 led the league in steals with 28.
- Los Angeles Dodgers' pitcher Orel Hershiser hurls a 4-hitter against the A's to clinch LA's first World Series title since 1981. Hershiser is named Series MVP.
- The Cincinnati Reds win Game 4 of the World Series against the heavily-favored Oakland A's to complete one of the most stunning Series sweeps in MLB history. Jose Rijo is named Series MVP.
- In the highest-scoring World Series game ever played, the Toronto Blue Jays score 6 in the 8th inning to come from behind to beat the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 4. Lenny Dykstra hit two round-trippers for the losers.
- Carlos Delgado signs a 4-year, $68 million contract with the Toronto Blue Jays, making him the highest-paid player in the game.
- The Boston Red Sox beat the New York Yankees 10-3 in New York to cap their historic comeback, rallying from a 0-3 series deficit to effectively end the Curse of the Bambino and earn their first World Series berth since 1986. They would go on to sweep the St. Louis Cardinals for their first World Series Championship since 1918.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.