|<<Back to the This Date in Sports History page|
- The Soviet Union was admitted to participate in the 1952 Olympic Games by the International Olympic Committee. The Soviets first Olympics were the Summer games of Helsinki in 1952.
- Rookie driver Janet Guthrie set the fastest time on opening day of practice for the Indianapolis 500. Her time was 185.607.
- Finland defeated Sweden to win the 1995 IIHF Men's World Ice Hockey Championship. The Finns defeated the Swedes 4-1 in the final game played at the Globen Arena in Stockholm. The Finnish goals were produced by Timo Jutila and Ville Peltonen who scored a hat trick.
- Joe Torre wins his 1,000th game as the manager of the New York Yankees.
- Arsenal played their final game at Highbury, beating Wigan Athletic 4-2.
- NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback Johnny Unitas