|<<Back to the This Date in Sports History page|
- Pitcher Bob Shaw set a major league record with 5 balks in a game.
- Dale Hunter of the Washington Capitals was suspended 21 games for his blindside check of Pierre Turgeon of the New York Islanders in a game that was played on April 8.
- Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees hit his 350th career home run and drove in his 1,000th run. He was the youngest player to reach 350 homeruns at 28 years, 282 days.
- The Cincinnati Red Stockings debut as the sport's first openly all-professional team, defeating the Great Westerns 45-9
- Fort Wayne defeated Cleveland 2-0 in the first game of the National Association of Baseball Players.
- Yale and Princeton. played the first intercollegiate court tennis match in the United States.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.