- The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the anti-trust exemption that major league baseball uses was Constitutional. The court then called upon the U.S. Congress to repeal the sport's special status.
- Gordie Howe left the NHL to join his sons Mark Howe and Marty Howe in the World Hockey Association. The three would play for the Houston Aeros.
- Pete Rose of the Cincinnati Reds got the 2,000th hit of his career.
- Mario Lemieux wons his third Hart Trophy as the NHL's Most Valuable Player and also won the Lester B. Pearson Trophy.
- The New York Knickerbocker Club played the New York Club in the first baseball game at the Elysian Field, Hoboken, NJ. It was the first organized baseball game.
- In New York, the Belmont Stakes was run for the first time.