|<<Back to the This Date in Sports History page|
- Enzo Ferrari retires from active racing and later goes on to form the Scuderia Ferrari Grand Prix motor racing team and the Ferrari car manufacterer.
- Tim Wakefield made his MLB debut for the Pittsburgh Pirates. He got the win in a complete game effort against the St. Louis Cardinals, allowing only 2 unearned runs on 6 hits and 5 walks, while striking out 10.
- Jonathan Papelbon made his MLB debut for the Boston Red Sox. He lasted 5.1 IP against the Minnesota Twins, allowing 3 runs, 2 earned, on 4 hits and 5 walks while striking out 7. The Red Sox won the game 4-3, but Papelbon did not factor in the decision.
- Evonne Goolagong, Australian tennis player.
- Former England manager Sir Bobby Robson after a long battle with cancer.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.