Administrators are ArmchairGM users who have certain "Systems Operator rights". Since this site has just recently been launched, there are only a few administrators. The policy will be to grant this access liberally to anyone who has been an active ArmchairGM contributor for a while and is generally a known and trusted member of the community.
Administrators are not imbued with any special authority or ownership rights in ArmchairGM, and are equal to everybody else in terms of editorial responsibility. Being an Administrator indicates ArmchairGM users who have had performance- and security-based restrictions on several features lifted because they seemed like trustworthy people and asked nicely. However, administrators do not have any special power over other users other than applying decisions made by all users.
The community does look to administrators to perform essential housekeeping chores that require the extra access administrators are entrusted with. Among them are:
- Edit the Main Page, and other ArmchairGM protected pages. You can suggest changes at Talk:Main Page.
- Protect and unprotect pages. Pages are only protected in certain rare circumstances.
- Delete pages and their history.
- View and restore deleted pages and their history.
- Permanently delete images.
- Revert pages quickly. Any user (logged-in or not) can revert a page to an earlier version. Administrators have a faster, automated reversion tool to help them revert vandalism by anonymous editors.
- Block IP addresses, IP ranges, and user accounts, for a specific time, or indefinitely.
- Unblock IP addresses, IP ranges, and user accounts.
Becoming an administrator
It is recommended that you write for ArmchairGM for a while before requesting administrator status. Once you have, you may request to become an administrator at ArmchairGM:Becoming an Administrator.
Be Careful, Please
If you are granted access, we ask that you exercise care in using these functions, especially the ability to delete pages and their history, to delete images (which is permanent!), and the ability to block IP addresses.