|<<Back to the This Date in Sports History page|
- Jockey Johnny Longden became the first person to ride 3,000 winners.
- The Minneapolis Lakers won the first National Basketball Association (NBA) championship by defeating the Syracuse Nationals.
- Hank Aaron hits his first of 755 career home runs. Vic Raschi of the St. Louis Cardinals surrendered the bomb.
- Ken Johnson of the Houston Astros threw the first no-hitter for a loss. The game was lost 1-0 to the Cincinnati Reds due to two errors.
- Brent Johnson of the St. Louis Blues becomes the first NHL goalie to win his first 3 wins in the playoffs by shutout.
- The first major league game took place at Wrigley Field in Chicago.
- Lenny DiNardo made his major league debut for the Boston Red Sox and worked a scoreless inning in an 11-2 beating of the New York Yankees.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.