The 1998 World Series matched the New York Yankees against the San Diego Padres, marking the first time the Yankees had ever faced an expansion team in the Series. The Yankees swept the Series in four games to capture their second championship in three years, and their 24th overall.
Series MVP: Scott Brosius (New York)
|W: David Wells (1-0) L: Donne Wall (0-1) S: Mariano Rivera (1)|
|HR: SD – Greg Vaughn 2 (2), Tony Gwynn (1) NYY – Chuck Knoblauch (1), Tino Martinez (1)|
October 18, 1998 at Yankee Stadium (New York Yankees)
|W: Orlando Hernandez (1-0) L: Andy Ashby (0-1)|
|HR – NYY: Bernie Williams (1), Jorge Posada (1)|
|W: Ramiro Mendoza (1-0) L: Trevor Hoffman (0-1) S: Mariano Rivera (2)|
|HR: NYY – Scott Brosius 2 (2)|
October 21, 1998 at Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego Padres)
|W: Andy Pettitte (1-0) L: Kevin Brown (0-1) S: Mariano Rivera (3)|
Quote of the Series
"From ear to ear, you can feel Darryl Strawberry smiling" - FOX announcer, Joe Buck after the Yankees win. Darryl had cancer and could not play in the 1998 postseason.
- The New York Yankees victory game them the most wins of any team in any season in baseball history (including postseason) with 125.
- It was the first sweep in the Fall Classic since 1990.
- This was the first year this particular World Series logo was used. It was only used again the following in the 1999 World Series. Both the 1998 and 1999 series were won by the Yankees.
- 1998 World Series by Baseball Almanac
- History of the World Series - 1998
- Baseball-Reference.com - 1998 World Series
|Major League Baseball World Series|